• Thu., Aug. 28, 2014 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Talk LIVE: Postgame Eagles Jets Insider Amanda Pflugrad will anchor festivities from the studio and Eric Allen will get immediate reaction from the players inside the locker room. Jets Nation will also hear from head coach Rex Ryan and have an opportunity to state their opinions on our phone lines at 855-909-5483.
  • Wed., Sep. 03, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Replay Jets Open Mic on SNY Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Thu., Sep. 04, 2014 10:00 PM - 10:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Fri., Sep. 05, 2014 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sat., Sep. 06, 2014 7:30 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Game Plan A comprehensive look ahead at the week's upcoming matchup
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Sun., Sep. 07, 2014 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Jets Post Game: Raiders at Jets Reactions and on-field interviews with Jets players immediately following every Jets game
  • Mon., Sep. 08, 2014 12:30 AM - 1:00 AM EDT Live Jets Open Mic

Exclusive live "start-to-finish" coverage of Rex Ryan's press conferences

• Tue., Sep. 09, 2014 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM EDT Live Jets Extra Point Analysis of the previous week’s game and exclusive interivews with Jets players and coaches

Top 10 Bill Parcells Victories as Jets HC

Posted by Randy Lange on August 2, 2013 – 9:42 am

One of Bill Parcells’ favorite phrases to reporters gushing about one player or another at his many NFL stops was “Let’s not send him to Canton on roller skates yet, fellas.”

Parcells didn’t exactly get to football’s shrine on an express train, but he got there as he should have nonetheless. He was voted for induction on Feb. 2, is being introduced tonight along with the Hall’s Class of ’13 by Jets great Joe Namath at the Gold Jacket Dinner, and will be enshrined in ceremonies at Canton’s Fawcett Stadium on Saturday night.

“The Big Tuna” did many great things at his head-coaching stops with the Giants, Patriots and Cowboys, but a significant part of his legacy and of Jets history was his three-season tenure as the Jets’ head coach from 1997-99.

“Bill Parcells infused new life into this franchise on many levels,” owner Woody Johnson said in a statement back in February. “From acquiring players like Curtis Martin to bringing back a winning culture, we will always be grateful to Bill for his contributions to the New York Jets. On behalf of the entire organization, I congratulate Bill on his selection to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.”

Below is my top 10 list of Bill Parcells coaching victories in those three seasons. It’s far from a scientific survey, just a list based on the importance of the game and the stage it was played on (primetime, playoffs). You may have some comments on other favorite BP games, so send them on to me, and you can also vote on your favorite regular-season Parcells win in the poll on our home page. (Games in chronological order, CAPS denote home teams.)

Aug. 31, 1997 — Jets 41, SEAHAWKS 3

It doesn’t start any better than this. In Parcells’ first regular-season game as head coach, the Jets pummeled the Seahawks in the Kingdome. Neil O’Donnell threw five touchdown passes, two to Wayne Chrebet and two to Jeff Graham, as the Green & White posted a 38-point win that to this day is the largest opening-day margin of victory in franchise history.

Oct. 19, 1997 — JETS 24, Patriots 19

New England came to the Meadowlands undefeated and opened a 12-3 lead on the first drive of the second half. On the Jets’ first drive of the half, Parcells made an unexpected switch at QB, replacing starter O’Donnell with backup Glenn Foley, who directed three straight touchdown drives to forge the 24-19 triumph for Parcells’ first win over the team he left to coach the Jets.

Dec. 14, 1997 — JETS 31, Buccaneers 0

The Jets were reeling after two losses dropped them to 8-6 while Tampa Bay came to town at 9-5. But the winds of the Meadowlands breathed new life into the Green & White for a win-and-we’re-in regular-season finale at Detroit the next week. Key Trent Dilfer tormenter this game: Otis Smith, who returned two interceptions for TDs in a 4:46 span of the second quarter.

Sept. 20, 1998 — JETS 44, Colts 6

Vinny Testaverde was getting his first start as the Jets QB since Parcells brought him in as a free agent in the offseason. His opposite signalcaller: first-pick-of-the-draft rookie Peyton Manning. This one was no contest as Testaverde threw four touchdown passes and Leon Johnson scored three TDs.

Oct. 19, 1998 — Jets 24, PATRIOTS 14

Parcells was so “disgusted” that he walked out on a midweek practice before this Monday night road test against 4-0 New England. The ploy had its effect as the Jets stayed close to the Patriots, then Testaverde struck for a touchdown toss to Kyle Brady and a 43-yard go-route TD to Dedric Ward in a 5:25 span of the fourth quarter to pull away for the inspiring triumph.

Oct. 25, 1998 — JETS 28, Falcons 3

This one turned out in retrospect to be the most frustrating win of the Parcells tenure, since the Jets disposed of Atlanta, which went on to finish 14-2 and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. Victor Green (strip of QB Steve DeBerg) and Jerome Henderson (fumble-return TD) teamed up for one score and Testaverde threw two third-quarter TD passes.

Dec. 13, 1998 — Jets 21, DOLPHINS 16

Jumbo Elliott confirmed after this Sunday night game that Parcells had “promised” him back in the offseason that the Jets would be going to the playoffs this year. That’s in fact what they clinched with this triumph, as LB Chad Cascadden applied the crushing score on a strip-sack of Dan Marino and fumble-return TD with 1:51 to play.

Jan. 10, 1999 — JETS 34, Jaguars 24 (PO)

This was the centerpiece to the Parcells tenure in green — the Jets’ first home playoff game since ’86, which turned into their first playoff win in 12 years as Keyshawn Johnson scored on a reception and then an end-around, recovered a Jacksonville fumble and intercepted Mark Brunell’s Hail Mary pass to send them on to the AFC Championship Game at Denver.

Nov. 15, 1999 — Jets 24, PATRIOTS 17

It was a Monday night in Foxboro Stadium and not much of a contest was expected from the 2-6 Jets vs. the 6-2 Patriots. But Ray Lucas, back as the starter after sitting a game with injury, directed the Jets offense to three second-quarter touchdowns that held up to down Drew Bledsoe & Co.

Dec. 27, 1999 — Jets 38, DOLPHINS 31

The Jets won their last four games in ’99, all against playoff teams. This one was symbolic of that closing kick as Lucas defeated Marino for the second time in three weeks, this time in Miami on Monday night and coming from behind in the fourth quarter with a pair of 50-yard scoring strikes, to Wayne Chrebet and Dedric Ward.

Tags: , , , ,

67 Responses to “Top 10 Bill Parcells Victories as Jets HC”

1. By wayne on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Here’s hoping Mr. Winslow’s drive for 100 doesn’t interfere with the development of a young QB….I thought it was a very bad idea to saddle Sanchez with Holmes, Edwards and a bunch of other bad character guys so young and so immature. I am sure the added weight trying to feed those guys their numbers didn’t help his development one iota. Do it right this time Jets….YOUNG QB, YOUNG WRs…On a team with established leaders it might be a different story….Next year Winslow, Holmes, and Edwards will be history.

2. By GaryC on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

If Chad Pennington can start on jets,The MAC ATTACK can definitely start also.The two guys are mirror images of one another,At least I haven’t seen him crying on Braylon’s shoulder or seen him sulk because he wasn’t a number one pick.It will be real interesting to see the reaction of the loser in the Geno and Sanchez showdown.

3. By IRA on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Wayne,
    Not sold on Winslow just yet but I haven’t seen much of him since they have him on limited work.
    I would have to say my best Parcells moment was when he took the job. He changed the culture of this team.

4. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

It’s amazing how quick people are looking towards next year when we didn’t even start playing this year. “UNBEILABLE”…

5. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

I think the Jets are underated at the skill positions. Now that we signed Braylon & Winslow I think we are on par with most teams. Last year Holmes was out for the year. Keller missed 8 games & got hurt in 2 other games that he came out of. Braylon only played the final 3 games & bearly knew the O not enough time to make a difference. Hill missed 5 games with a season ending injury & Clyde Gates missed 5 games with a injury. If the Jets can start the season with a healthy Braylon, Kerley, Winslow, Hill, Gates & Cumberland they will be fine.

6. By Frank on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

We haven’t had a deep threat like Testaverde to Ward since those days. We have suffered through weak armed and losey QB play since then and no outside speed from a receiver like Ward either its pathetic.

7. By GaryC on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,chill out a little with the Edwards and Winslow talk,there are reasons they were out there so long,the jets will not be a juggernaut because their here,the development of Hill will be far more important then two guys who will not be here in a couple of years.

8. By scjoe on Aug 2, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, my view on your term “underrated” to describe the skill positions. And again, it comes down to that mighty 2 letter word “if” If BE and Winslow are in fact injury free (and remain so) and if Holmes can get back on the field at full speed, and if Hill and Gates can actually play as fast as their 40 times and if Kerley continues to impress, and if at least one of the young kids step up big time, sure, they can impress. As for the RB group? That, is the biggest if of all. The problem? Way to many IFs!

9. By IRA on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Frank,
    Good point about Ward but you can’t discount Moss who when Chad could did get him the ball down field like in the SD playoff game in 04 on that 47 or so yd TD pass.
    I feel safe to say Hill will be that real deep threat we have all been waiting for. The kid really can get downfield on a regular basis.
    The DL looked very stout yesterday and the OL got zero push. It would not have matter who the RB was there was no holes at all.
    Tonight should be fun looking forward to it.
    GO JETS!!!!

10. By Frank on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Ira I agree with you and have made simliar comments over the years. Rex was the beneficiary of that culture when he arrived and has systematically destroyed it since then. This team is at its lowest points since the Kotite years and is similar in many ways with its dysfunction and lack of leadership.Any one who thinks somehow this is going to be a good year is deluding themselves.
    Spicer I love your enthusiasm but you have not dealing in reality.

11. By SCfromNY on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Tom: Agree with you on the WRs except if Sanchez is the QB. If anyone remembers the last time the Pats lost the division it was when Pennington in his first year in took Miami to the division. Until there is some evidence that McElroy can not play I wish him the best and hopefully a chance.

The best Parcells game had to be the Monday Night 38-31 win. I remember my son and I getting ready to go to bed after the 3rd quarter and being really glad we changed our minds.

12. By Frank on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

SC NY I agree that Elliot TD was awesome…thought I was going to have a heart attack when he bobbled the pass!
    Ira that was one pass there was no consistancy with Moss and Chad. Moss was too inconsistant and Chad had such a weak arm which was too bad he could have been a great QB.

13. By GaryC on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Glad to hear some mention of Bohanon and Winters,two guys I mentioned the other day to Ira.

14. By scjoe on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Ron, I know you can never talk enough about the draft, so I am going to let you borrow my daydream/thinking cap and let you think about, and comment on this… Had the NYJ taken Jarvis Jones with the 14th pick 1n the 2013 draft instead of Richardson, then….were in a position to select Jadevon Clowney in the top of the 2014 draft (which is not science fiction) here is what their front 7 would look like. Wilkerson DE- Ellis- NT -Coples- DE… Clowney- OLB, Davis- MLB, Harris- MLB, Jones- OLB. Think that would have solved the ongoing problem of getting to the QB? This would have been a possibility with the Jones selection, not so with the Richardson selection.

15. By russ on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

About Parcells..he gave you the eye when you messed up…he did not suffer fools gladly nor did he tolerate excuses….He did not “love’ his players, but they loved him….and most of all he would never be arrogant or dumbfounded when his team was getting beat…HE made the adjustments a leader must make to win….

16. By IRA on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Frank,
    Yes Rex, Eric and Herm all benefitted from the foundation that Parcells started. I have to disagree with you about Rex. He has destroyed nothing and same is true about Herm and Eric. When Parcells took over they were a laughing stock. Then Herm made the playoffs 3 out of 5 years and would’ve been 5-5 if not for losing his QB’s. Eric had one playoff team and in 08 they fell short. Rex 2 AFC Title games and then 2 bad years. To me that is not destroying the team. Lets wait and see how Rex does this year please.
    GO JETS!!!!

17. By ronbo on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, I luv ya bro but you come up with some goofy stuff sometimes?Comparing Chad who came from a pass happy system (granted at a smaller school)where he was throwing all over the lot to Greg MacElroy who came from a ball control conservative offense at Alabama is like comparing an Eagle to a pigeon.Yeah there both birds and they both fly, buts that where the similarities end.Sorry dude but Chad was a much better passer than Mac hands down.S.C.Joe, again, the If’s and buts continue to run amuck here on Randy’s Radar? Good call bro,spot on as usual! FRANK, you continue to shine here dude.Consistently spot on my man.Love your posts.SPICER too much green kool-aid bro!!!

18. By ronbo on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

IRA, I love your comments on Hill because that is the one thing that could make SPICER’s prediction for the W.R group come true. I just cant get on that band- wagon until I see him do it consistently and in a real game. Again, this team has had dozens of work out and pre-season wonders over the years. I want to see it when it counts before I believe it. Too many vivid memories of his drops last year.
    JETFAN FRANK, I know I am one of the “Debbie Downer’s” you are referring to but again, i go by facts, not wishful thinking like many here. I look at this roster and Rex as the leader and I just cant get too excited as this is not a good team.Sorry bro but I’m sticking with 4 to 6 wins tops.I hope to be proven wrong!

19. By Frank on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Ira I disagree heartily. Rex benefitted from the team assembled by Mangini a Parcells guy philosophy wise. The same could be said of Herm who inherited Parcells players. Both Herm and Mangini worked with the front office put together largely by Parcells. Rex convinced Tanny to make alot of the idiotic moves that have defined this team over the last few years. The unbalanced approach of constantly focusing on the Defense and collecting a bunch of players with questionable character and baggage. Parcells was the anti Rex and Rex has infested the organization with boorish characters starting with himself. He is not in the mold of Parcells.
    Rex is an awful HC who got lucky the first 2 years and the organization is not the same any more.

20. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, While I love the D you put out there & I think it would be a dominate 1. I do not see us getting Clowney no matter what even if everything goes wrong I still don’t see us being the worst team in the entire NFL cause really that is what you are going to have to be to get this kid.

21. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

SCJoe, Also I was saying all off season to draft Jarvis Jones. I wanted this kid bad the Steelers know what how to draft they got this kid. He is going to be defensive rookie of the year for them write it down.

22. By GaryC on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo my man,sorry,one had Moss,one had Julio jones,both were Rhodes scholars,neither one can break a pane of glass,So now Marshall is being mistaken for the run and gun at Texas Tech,listening to you,you think I am comparing Sanchez to Otto Graham.

23. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

To anyone local they are playing the green & white scrimmage tonight at 6 on 98.7 fm ESPN radio home of the Jets. If you cant make it to Cortland like me & you want to hear the game.

24. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Frank, Ronbo & SCJoe, Right before the season starts every year I get hopeful for the coming year. I cant help it what do you want me to do I am a long suffering
    Jet fan.

25. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Gary C, With Holmes out & Hill proving nothing to me so far even thou Braylon & Winslow may not be in the Jets long term plans if they don’t step up this year. The Jets are going to be in for a very VERY long season. Cause as all of us witnessed last year Kerley can not do it all by himself.

26. By GaryC on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

ronbo,one other thing,was Marshall pass happy when Ahmad Bradshaw was toting the rock there.

27. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Football season starts tomorrow night at 8pm with the “Hall of Fame Game” Dallas against Miami, Parcell’s should be a shoe in as well as Sapp. Now we get to see how well the JETS will do, no more second guessing, no more excuses it’s time to play football. LETS GO JETS….

28. By scjoe on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Spicer, hear ya loud and clear. From one long time suffering Jet fan to another I can relate. We are all “hopeful” going into any given season, but me? I try to be realistic as well. This year, more then any previously, there are just way to many questions, way to many ifs. Heck, we don’t even know who the starting QB, RB, WRs. and TEs will be yet, not to mention exactly who will start along the O line, the safety opposite Landry, etc. That is why I find it difficult to believe anyone here can even begin to predict how many games this team will win or lose. I see anywhere between 4-12 and 10-6, depending on all the “ifs” Not to mention potential injuries.

29. By Frank on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Spicer you and I agree on something! The clouds are parted and the sky is bright! I said it draft day this team made a mistake not drafting Jones and your right he will be defensive rookie of the year!

30. By IRA on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Interesting night. I think Cundiff has a real shot to beat out Folk, Spann and Powell ran well, Spadola continues to impress, Mark had a bad night except for the last play when he connected with Hill, Geno was very sharp on the first drive except for a botched shovel pass. I hate that call flashbacks of Brister to S. Mills.
    Otherwise Geno had some false start but that was with the 2nd team OL. Kerley also dropped a great pass from Geno that would have been a TD. Sapp, Pace, Fletcher stood out. Milliner was good in sideline coverage but he needs work in the middle of the field with slants. Hill beat him early on with a slant. Nice crowd and it was a good time.
    GO JETS!!!

31. By IRA on Aug 3, 2013 | Reply

Sorry forgot to mention McElroy he threw the ball well and looked good against the 3rd team.

32. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Nice post IRA and I couldn’t agree with you more. I am here in New York and my cousin Joey took me to Cortland and it was great to watch the veterans and the rookies scrimmage. I thought Bohanan looked sharp and as for Spadola I couldn’t agree with you more. There was some ups and downs but I did like the way the offensive line played. SCJOE, I feel by the 2nd pre-season game we will have a better out look at who will be starting but right now my money is on Spadola as one starter this kid is faster then I thought and has some great moves and hands. Although I gave the edge to Geno over MS I will not make a prediction there until the 3rd game of pre-season. Over all it was exciting to be there…

33. By Frank on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Whe your third string QB out plays the other 2 you know your QB situation is pathetic. The real test is against Detroit we’ll see where these guys are then.

34. By wayne on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Ira, it bothers me when passcatching vets walk in the door talking about how many balls they’re going to catch…. NY Je’s where players come to show they still got it in hunt for a nice contract..2 safeties last year and Winslow this year..We know the McElroy contingent will be in full campaign mode….Please remember…3rd stringers..Not bad having him and Geno next year and picking up another talented kid next draft to develop….Need to start giving this position attention it needs..I think everything is in place for Rex to stay..OC is good, QB coach is good overall staff is a nice one. Can’t see it being blown up regardless of record…..Sounds pro Rex? I’m ambivalent…Lose old shenanigans and I’m good.

35. By wayne on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

With Idzik’s Tampa connections, if the Jets decided to part ways with Rex, would it be a big surprise to see Chucky walk in the door? Way too soon for this but it’s a thought….Not a fan of Chucky’s but he would fit with Jets in couple ways. Marquee coach with trophy, has reputation for developing QB and top offense……..I question everything including the trophy, but his resume and TPA connection means season’s end will be very interesting……..He has been waiting

36. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

FRANK, I agree, MAC out played GS and MS what I watched was 127 yards on 8 plays and 2 TD’s by McElroy. In a previous post I gave MAC an A+ and GS and MS a B-. I don’t expect MAC to start but it does make you wonder what he could have done if he didn’t get hurt last year… LETS GO JETS…..

37. By since shea on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Wayne, nice idea but I still think Chuckie is a better fit for something bigger than HC. If I were Woody, I would have brought in Gruden to be head of football operations just like Elway is. I like flying under the radar this year. Everyone is predicting that we are pretty much the worst team out there. Yes we have unanswered positions but we could surprise and go 8-8 or better based on a real OC and Rex heading up the D. Think about it, if Tanny didnt abandon the running game and O Line, and if whatever genius it was decided to hire an OC OTHER THAN SPARANO, we might have been fine.

38. By GaryC on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Wayne,McElroy had success against third stringers,but wasn’t he playing with the Jet third stringers,I guess he made them look fairly good,so how good would he be with the jet first stringers?

39. By Jersey Rich on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

After listening to the scrimmage – I had this CRAZY dream. I dreamt we traded Sanchez to a non-division team to be their back-up. McElroy became our starter with Geno as his back up, And all was calm in the Jets Nation… (Sorry – the phone woke me up before I found out if we made the playoffs or not) LOL

40. By SCfromNY on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Have to agree with Wayne. I have been asking for Chucky for 2 years. Besides a great QB and offense guy he motivates well and seems to interact well with young players. Plus I would not have to listen to him on MNF anymore.

So far nothing to convince me McElroy should not get a chance.

41. By wayne on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

Listen guys, I really just want to see a QB who can actually get something done…….I’m tired of waiting…If it turns out it’s a competition betw Geno and McElroy that’s good for the Jets….Either way they gotta find out during THIS YEAR….A whole lots gotta be decided leading into next draft….Here’s how I see this thing playing out….Sanchez is starting 6 or 7 games unless he completely implodes….If not going to be good…..Geno gets a 7 or 8 game audition…If he fizzles Mac gets a shot…..Before we start calling that D anything special, I see them doing well, then breaking down in key spots….Not unlike what they did during scrimmage, and eerily similar to what we saw last year.

42. By IRA on Aug 4, 2013 | Reply

While McElroy did play well just keep in mind about 75 yds came on a busted play. Thing that impressed me was the way he released the ball and his throwing motion which I thought was much better than last year.
    This is going to be an interesting week of practice leading up to the Lions game. Wonder if they should start Mark and let him play a series or two or I can see the debate that you know what you have with Mark and need to start Geno to get a better feel to see how he handles live action. I am mixed with this. I think I would let Geno get his feet wet taking over in the 1st qt and play him into the third. What do you guys think?

43. By IRA on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Nice story on Powell today in the NY Daily News. Its right on the money. I always have thought Powell could play i just don’t see him as a featured RB. I would like to see him get a combined 12-15 touches [run/pass] per game. I hope if Ivroy can’t get fully healthy for the jags game then its time to look for a RB besides Madu. This opening day roster is far from set especially on offense.

44. By russ on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Mcknight is not a football player …cut him …his priorities are far removed from being a Jet….

45. By ronbo on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

GARY C, after that 11 sack debacle against the Chargers last year(many of which were his fault) do you really want an answer to that question? Again, this is one of those situations where we will have to agree to disagree but keep in mind, i was with you and SCfromNY in supporting Mac last year.Between the SD game and his limited body of work I just haven’t seen anything that tells me he is an NFL starter? S.C.Joe, a bunch of us were aghast last April when we bypassed Jones and I have little doubt we will be proven right.Time will tell…As for your draft scenario, awesome is the only way to describe that front seven!SPICER, I’ve said this before, please don’t ever loose your enthusiasm, its what makes you who you are here.Just bust’n you!

46. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

From Rich Cimini “Through seven Jets practices and one scrimmage, Geno Smith has completed 39-of-68 passes (57.4 percent) with three touchdowns, no interceptions, and 12 sacks taken. Mark Sanchez is 46-of-82 (56.1 percent) with a 3:4 TD-to-INT ratio and eight sacks absorbed. Smith needs to improve on getting the ball out of his hands quicker, but he’s been the superior of the two Jets quarterbacks at this point in training camp.” To me I am not to worried about the sacks that Geno has taken at this point they have red jerseys on & if you get even close to them they call it a sack. I hope it is a sign of him not forcing the ball & risking turning the ball over. Also I think with his 4.5 speed he would have avoided a few of those sacks.

47. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

IRA, I agree Mac had nice moves in his throws and release. But that will not get him a starting job. He played well with 3rd stringers and 1st stringers. No matter how good he does do the only way he will start is if MS or GS both get hurt.

I wish I could have read the story on Powell, from what I a hearing and seeing in here it was a great story. He needs more reps to make any determinations on how good he really is. RONBO I also thought JONES was a shoe in to be drafted by the JETS, did we all get fooled on that one. Your right it could bite us in the butt down the road….

48. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Disappointed with the cutting of Jordan White,thought he could do something,I guess with the showing of Spadola and Hazelton his time was short.Hopefully these two bring their success to the preseason games.

49. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo,we will see on McElroy,the team last year was in total disarray with Sparano,we will see with Morningwheg how it looks,McElroy might not have a puncher’s chance but I will wait to the score cards are in.

50. By IRA on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

If Geno does win this job and the Jets decide to trade Mark Green Bay is the perfect landing spot. They are desperate for a backup they are looking at V Young. So this would not shock me at all if Mark doesn’t win the starting job.

51. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Maybe Spadola can be the jets answer to Victor Cruz,local guy,undrafted makes it big with the local team.time will tell.

52. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

I still have my doubts about Thurman as defensive coordinator,never was before this year and has been around a long time,THE JET OFFENSE racking up over 400 yards,hope this isn’t a precursor on how the D will look this year.

53. By ELI RODRIGUEZ--lets try spadola against1st defense on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Ronbo: After the cardinal game Rex should have name GMAC the starter. Rex went back to an empty well A.K.A M.S. I’ll agree that SOME of those sacks were on G-MAC but the O-LINE was on vacation mode.(“There are plenty of linemen to blame. By my count, Austin Howard gave up 3.5 of the sacks; Brandon Moore gave up1.5 sacks; D’Brickashaw Ferguson allowed1.5 more. Every starting Jets lineman had a role in at least one sack. This week, Lomas Brown admitted that he missed a block to make sure Scott Mitchell was knocked out of a game. Watching the Chargers-Jets game, one has to wonder (only half-facetiously) whether New York’s linemen hate Greg McElroy.”) Article by J.J.Copper–Football Outsider. San Diego Chargers 9th best defense. Just a thought.

54. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

I am going to try my best not to argue with posters anymore so instead of responding to them I am going to just put something out there. “Jets rookie QB Geno Smith went 4-1 as a starter in cold-weather games (40 degrees or below) at West Virginia. Smith struggled in the Pinstripe Bowl against Syracuse, but otherwise he was an effective cold-weather quarterback, which matters because the Jets play eight home games in the sometimes-chilly Meadowlands, as well as one game in Buffalo and another in Foxboro each year. Smith’s stats in cold-weather college games: 90-for-126 (71 percent), 1,215 yards, and a 10:0 TD-to-INT ratio.” Please Google it & double check my info!

55. By Frank on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Dream all you want Spicer. Smith dropped to the second round and would have gone to the third round if the Jets didn’t save him. Small hands 30 plus fumbles sound familiar? He is not throwing picks he is holding on to the ball through “sacks” he had a bad day today in the red zone when he had to make plays. He is having a hard time beating the worst QB in the NFL over the last 4 years. Like I said lets see what happens in the upcoming games that should really show us whats going on.

56. By GaryC on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Tom Spicer,your stats are good with Geno in cold weather,what happens if Global Warming takes effect.

57. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 5, 2013 | Reply

Frank, your kidding right? . Rex benefited from Mangini’s regime then he destroyed it, now that’s one of the funniest statements I ever heard , Maginius was horrible and the reason why at such a young age he’s on the talk circuit out of coaching along with Herm , were he that good when NE Back end coaching Job opened up don’t you think Little Bill would have gobbled him up, come on man use common sense, Rex brought in his guys and won, Mangini brought in his guys and lost, Now all the guys are gone coaches included so the door is open for fans like you to blame Rex then fire Rex and rebuild for another 43 years with another 43 lack luster QB’s and coaches

58. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

From what I have seen in my couple of visits to Cortland, FRANK you are so right about GS having a bad day in the red zone and MS didn’t do much better. Although I know he will not start McElroy had the best rating of both MS and GS. He looked sharper and more accurate and stronger then both of them. Makes you wonder… Powell was impressive… LETS GO JETS…

59. By Tom "Section 124 Row 20" Spicer on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64, Are you at camp? I am not exactly sure what it is that you are seeing cause the Jet beat writers in the local papers say McElroy is throwing ducks on a daily basis? I am not sure how he can be “sharper and more accurate and stronger then them” cause thats not how the guys at the 2 local papers are viewing it.

60. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Off topic,football related,.as a fan of the game, I believe it needs to be said, This Riley Cooper Situation is getting a little to bias, This kid made a mistake he apologized to the Football world his teammates and Family a number of times, Teammates already said they’ve accepted his apology, Yet the press constantly hounding him, even forcing him to leave camp, This story has been beat to death, I can name a few players Like Rowdy White on Atlanta stating the Jury In a certain trial won’t mention should all go home and kill themselves, yet not a word from the press, Why do some get a pass for far worse, Seems like for some a story they feel is OK to Exploit and ruin a kids career is OK , yet others not OK

61. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

cont. Sorry if this offends some it’s not my intention, some may agree some not, but I for one am tried of witnessing, some being singled out made an example of while others get a pass, even worse for a story and ratings, All in the name of political correctness, Or appeasing others, Being honest people, I believe most here are, Have been guilty at one point or another of saying and doing things, we’re not proud of on both sides of the spectrum, Thanks Randy for letting me sound off

62. By SCfromNY on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

MJV; If you think about it you will realize why Rowdy White gets a pass and Riley Cooper doesn’t.

63. By JET FAN FRANK SINCE 64 on Aug 6, 2013 | Reply

Tom “Section 124 Row 20 I spent 3 days at Cortland watching. McElroy looked better the MS and GS without a doubt anyone who was at the camp would seen what I have seen. Powell and Bohanan also looked good. MS will be starting against Detroit Friday night. Should be interesting…..

64. By Mike Jet Vet on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

SCfromNY, Nothing to think about,. Sad truth, it’s the failing of a once great nation with the greatest Idea, and it’s greatest people, equality, freedom and justice for all, I believe I said it before, I feel so sorry your the youth of this country, first for they’ll never know how great America once was, the America I bled for the America many family members bled for and proud in doing so, if I had to do it today sorry to say I wouldn’t, Only solace I get in being old is I won’t have to wittiness much more destruction of our great nation,… there will never be another

65. By SCfromNY on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

MJV, sometimes I disagree with your posts and some time I agree. But your last post could have been written by me. It’s something I think and say almost daily. I feel for my 2 sons and grandchildren who will never grow up the way us older guys did. Like boiling a frog everything just snuck up on us and it is probably too late.

Since this is a football blog I will wish the Jets the best of luck win or lose. Just be professional and not embarrassing. As others I am hoping for Chucky next year. Originally I thought Rex was a breath of fresh air however after his poor offensive knowledge and poor player development I believe he will always be a good DC but no more HC jobs.

66. By Frank on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

Jet Vet what are you talking about? Mangini and Tanny put together the core of the team that Rex inherited and went to the AFC Championship with including guys like Revis, Harris, Mangold and Ferguson to name a few!!!! as well as the 3-4 defense that Rex enjoys sucess with. Mangini was a lousy coach and I was one of the most vocal to get rid of him. Rex brought us Sanchez and this team won inspite of him! My point was Mangini in the Parcells mold brought in high character guys and good/intelligent football players. Tanny had a good track record before Rex showed up. Tanny as a GM should..went and got the guys Rex wanted. Rex owns this product!!!

67. By ronbo on Aug 7, 2013 | Reply

MJV, I think you did the best job possible with a very difficult subject.No one here wants to come off as insensitive because the fact is Cooper screwed up big time as his remarks were off the charts stupid.Rather than try and justify or excuse his remarks in any way shape or form let me instead agree with your statement that we all screw up at some point in time and deserve a second chance.Having played football at a very high level I can tell you flat out a lot worse things are said than what Cooper said so If the media will let this rest a bit I do believe this will eventually cool down and hopefully Cooper can show himself to be a better man than poor choice of words makes him look.